Fact Sheet: How to be Safe Around Animals
Home > Fact Sheets >
KNOW THE FACTS!
HOW TO BE SAFE AROUND ANIMALS
Know that animals carry germs that can make people sick
Never eat, drink, or put things into your mouth in animal areas
Older adults, pregnant women, and young children should be extra careful around animals
Wash your hands with soap and water right after visiting the animal area. Use alcohol-
based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
Always Wash Hands:
- After touching animals or their living area
- After leaving the animal area
- After taking off dirty clothes or shoes
- After going to the bathroom
- Before preparing foods, eating, or drinking
- Wet your hands with clean, running water
- Apply soap
- Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub well, including backs of hands, between fingers and under fingernails
- Rub hands at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice
- Rinse hands
- Dry hands using a clean paper towel or air dry them. Do NOT dry hands on clothing.
Download a printable version of this fact sheet here.
|250 William Howard Taft Road, 2nd Floor, Cincinnati, OH 45219
Phone 513.946.7800 Fax 513.946.7890