Fact Sheet: Hand Washing
KNOW THE FACTS!
Washing hands frequently and properly can reduce the risk of getting colds and communicable diseases.
Wash your hand after…
- using the bathroom
- playing with animals
- sneezing or coughing
- touching objects used by others
- exposure to a sick person
Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
Follow these steps to make sure you have properly washed your hands…
- Wash hands in warm water, as warm as is comfortable
- Use soap and lather well
- Scrub hands thoroughly for 20 seconds (sing “Happy Birthday”)
- Don’t forget to wash your wrists, the back of your hands, between your fingers, and under/around your fingernails and rings
- Rinse hands well; downward, from wrists to fingertips
- Dry hands with a clean, dry towel or paper towel
- Use towel to turn off faucet and open door
For more information, contact the Environmental Health Division at (513) 946-7800.
|250 William Howard Taft Road
2nd Floor, Cincinnati, OH 45219
Phone 513.946.7800 Fax 513.946.7890