Safe Medication Disposal
Safely dispose of unwanted or expired medication through a local drug drop box or by asking your local pharmacy about drug disposal bags.
- Drug drop boxes
- Drug disposal bags
- Ask your local pharmacy about medication disposal bags
- Drug disposal bags are another option for medication disposal. These bags are sealable pouches that contain active carbon.
- 3 simple steps to dispose using a pouch
- Place unused medication in pouch
- Fill halfway with warm tap water and wait 30 seconds
- Seal tightly and gently shake pouch and dispose in normal trash
- Household disposal
- Remove medication from bottle and place in a bag that can be sealed
- Mix pills with undesirable substance such as kitty litter or coffee grounds
- Throw away sealed mixture into trash
- Scratch out all personal information on the prescription label or empty pill bottle and dispose of container
Take Charge Ohio
Pain medication safety starts with getting educated. Learn more about safe pain management and medication practices.