Fact Sheet: Homeowner’s Plumbing Permit
KNOW THE FACTS!
Homeowner’s Plumbing Permit
Apply for a plumbing permit if you plan to:
- add or remodel bathroom/kitchen
- add or replace sump pump/water heater
- replace toilet/sink/shower valve
- install permanent whirlpool/hot tub
- add or replace dishwasher or garbage disposal
- install permanent irrigation system install yard hydrant
Issuing of a homeowner’s plumbing permit
- Allow seven business days for review of application and issue of permit.
- Permit will be mailed to you.
- Do not begin plumbing work until you have a permit.
- Display permit near work site.
- Submit an isometric drawing of all waste and vent lines.
Responsibility of permit holder
- All engineering, workmanship, pipes, fittings, and fixtures must comply with Ohio Basic Plumbing Code.
- Pipes extending through walls must be supported by compatible materials.
- Shower heads and tub spouts must be secure.
- Shower and tub valves must be A.S.S.E. 1016 compliant.
- All hose bibbs must be protected with vacuum breakers.
Copies of code available through Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Contractor’s Association at (440) 543-4011, or Cincinnati Master Plumber’s Association, (513) 742-2672.
Scheduling a plumbing inspection
- Plumbing must be inspected before being covered.
- For same day inspection, call (513) 946-7854 between 7:30-9:00 a.m. Monday – Friday.
- Inspection testing equipment must be supplied by permit holder.
- Test should be applied to system at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled inspection.
Inspection requirements on sanitary waste and vent
- 1st Rough Inspection – prior to covering any underground plumbing. Seal openings of all new sanitary waste and vent piping. Fill piping with approximately 5 pounds of air pressure (5 P.S.I) or fill plumbing with a 10′ head of water. If there are no leaks, call for an inspection.
- 2nd Rough Inspection – prior to covering pipes with dry wall or insulation. Seal openings of all new sanitary waste and vent piping. Fill piping with approximately 5 pounds of air pressure 5 P.S.I) or fill plumbing with a 10′ head of water. If no leaks, call for an inspection.
- Final Inspection – After all plumbing fixtures are set and connected. Seal openings of all new sanitary waste and vent piping. Fill all traps with water. Apply final air/bowl test. Call for an inspection.
For more information about obtaining a homeowner’s plumbing permit, contact the plumbing division at 513.946.7854 or visit our Website at www.HCPH.org.
|250 William Howard Taft Road
2nd Floor, Cincinnati, OH 45219
Phone 513.946.7800 Fax 513.946.7890