Fact Sheet: Get Rid of Roaches
KNOW THE FACTS!
Get Rid of Roaches!
Roaches cause problems for humans. Their body parts and droppings can make people sick. Follow these simple steps to rid your home of roaches.
Use pesticides as a last resort
If you must use pesticide:
- Read label and follow directions.
- Never use outdoor pesticides inside the house.
- Keep pesticides in their original container.
- Try safe ways of killing roaches, like boric acid or bait and trap.
- If you are using a certified pest control applicator, do not use any pesticides of your own on top of what the exterminator is using, as it will make both ineffective.
- Only buy pesticides with an EPA registration number.
Starve Them Out
Roaches like to stay in places where they can find food. If they can’t find food, they probably will leave.
- Keep drawers, cabinets and counter tops free of food and clutter.
- Clean up spills and crumbs.
- Seal bags and containers of food.
- Cover trash.
- Don’t leave food out overnight.
Dry them out
Roaches can’t live without water to drink. Get rid of standing water all over the house.
- Fix leaky faucets and pipes.
- Always drain water from sink and bath after use.
- Keep drain clear of water and garbage.
- Keep all areas of house clean and dry, including the basement, kitchen, and bathrooms.
Keep them out
Stop Roaches from becoming a problem. Keep them out of your house.
- Keep your house clean and in order.
- Put screens over vents and pipes that open to outside.
- Seal cracks and openings with caulk along baseboards, behind sinks, and around windows.
- Vacuum and mop your floors regularly.
If you hire someone to kill the roaches in your home remember to ask:
- If they are a certified pest control applicator.
- What work they will be doing in your house.
- What chemicals will be used.
If you have any questions or concerns call: Hamilton County Public Health 513-946-7847 or the National Pesticide Information Center 1-800-858-7378.
|250 William Howard Taft Road
2nd Floor, Cincinnati, OH 45219
Phone 513.946.7800 Fax 513.946.7890